Nassau County Legislator Kevan Abrahams (D-Freeport) invites residents of the 1st Legislative District to attend the Department of Assessment’s Property Tax Exemption Workshops. If you live in and are the owner of a home, condominium or cooperative apartment, you may qualify for hundreds of dollars in property tax savings each year.
Nassau County offers two types of School Tax Relief (STAR) property tax exemptions: Basic and Enhanced. Basic STAR is reserved for residents who own and live in their own home, condominium or cooperative apartment with an annual household income of $500,000 or less. Enhanced Star is reserved for senior citizens aged 65 years or older with annual incomes of $81,900 or less. NYS has increased the Enhanced STAR household earnings cap from $79,050 to $81,900.
Find out if you are eligible for savings on your property taxes through these and other exemptions: Veterans, Senior Citizen, Cold War Veterans, Volunteer Firefighters and Ambulance Workers, Limited Income Disability and Home Improvement. Equipped with specially configured computers linked to the County’s database, the County Assessor’s staff will process property tax exemption applications on-site at various locations on the following dates within or near the 1st Legislative District:
- Friday, July 12 from 1 – 3 p.m. at Freeport Memorial Library, 144 West Merrick Road
- Friday, July 26 from 1 – 3 p.m. at Baldwin Public Library, 2385 Grand Avenue
- Tuesday, September 3 from 1 – 3 p.m. at Merrick Public Library, 2279 Merrick Avenue
- Friday, September 27 from 1 – 3 p.m. at Roosevelt Public Library, 27 West Fulton Avenue
- Tuesday, October 15 from 1 – 3 p.m. at Hempstead Public Library, 115 Nichols Court
- Friday, October 25 from 1 – 3 p.m. at Merrick Public Library, 2279 Merrick Avenue
For additional information, and for what forms to bring to the workshops, please call Legislator Abraham’s office at (516) 571-6201. Please visit www.mynassauproperty.com for scheduling updates.