New York Trend Online
Serving New York City, Nassau, and Suffolk Counties
0

June is National Acne Awareness Month

Did you know, in the United States, there are 60 million people with acne, but only 10% see a dermatologist?! The other 90% rely on medicine they buy online or at drug stores, which are one-size-fits-all products not customized to their skin. These range from being ineffective to actually exacerbating acne.  
 
San Francisco based MDacne is the brand disrupting the treatment process of acne, alleviating a doctor’s visit and utilizing technology to analyze a user’s skin (by the co-founder and a board certified dermatologist), then based on the analysis, subscribers will get customized anti-acne medications that are specifically personalized to their skin type and acne severity. The subscription service will help users treat and maintain their acne until it is no longer an issue. 
 
MDacne provides people with the personal care of a dermatologist at a fraction of the price and time. The technology uses image analysis and algorithms to make a diagnosis within just a few seconds. The subscription model also allows for ongoing 24/7 monitoring that allows users to track skin progress and chat with a dermatologist. Based on this monitoring, MDacne can adjust the recommended medications.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
 
How it works:
  • After a new user downloads the app, they answer a few questions and take a selfie. The selfie is analyzed with computer vision and deep learning technology, and the user receives a full analysis of their skin type and acne condition. The download and analysis is free.
  • If the user wishes to continue, they input their address and receive a personalized acne treatment kit within 2-3 days. The kit includes a customized medicated acne cleanser, customized anti-acne medication, and a special moisturizer. (subscription fee – $29.99/month)
  • Users continue to take selfies to monitor acne progress. If there is no improvement, MDacne will continue to adjust the medication until the user achieves clear skin. 
  • The app also provides skin tips, recommended diets, and ongoing selfie charts so users can track their progress.
  • Chat with, Dr. Harth, co-founder and a dermatologist via the app chat option 
The Statistics Behind Acne
  • Women make up for 80% of adult acne cases studied
  • Over the past 10 years, the average age of an acne sufferer has increased from 20.5 years old to 26.5 years old.
  • 99% of people get breakouts on the face
  • 60% see spots on other parts of the body
  • 15% have clogged complexions on their chests
  • Americans spend over $3 million dollars a year on acne treatments, and 3 out of every 10 people looking to treat their condition reach for the over the counter topicals to do the trick
  • 11% of people with acne suffer from depression
One other interesting fact about MDacne is it was founded by a father/son duo. Oded Harth (CEO) has a tech background and his father, Dr. Yoram Harth has been practicing dermatology for more than 30 years.
For the month of June MDacne will be offering a discount code for 30% off (AcneMonth) and will be donating 10% of all proceeds to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America.

About the Author

New York Trend is a weekly news publication that focuses on issues and lifestyles of the African & Caribbean American communities throughout the New York metropolitan area and Nassau and Suffolk Counties of Long Island. It is a respected and well recognized news publication that has been in existence since 1989. Owner, Publisher and Executive Director, Dr. Teresa Taylor Williams has been at the helm of this award-winning publication since its inception. New York Trend continues to be the only black woman-owned, metropolitan newspaper in New York and Long island. New York Trend is the largest black-owned newspaper throughout Nassau and Suffolk counties.

Leave a Reply




If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a Gravatar.